San Diego Bonsai Club Blog

Friday, October 28, 2005

Winter Tree Care in San Diego

Recently, someone contacted me through the web site and asked about how to care for certain temperate trees in San Diego. As you may know, some trees need to "feel" the winter in order to flower or produce fruit. As a result, if the temperature doesn't drop below freezing, then you may not see the desired results.

In my response to this inquiry, I started off by pointing out that San Diego winters are fairly mild. Coastal areas in particular will usually never drop below freezing. Inland areas do sometimes drop below freezing, but not too much below.

I don't personally do anything special for my trees in the winter. I've read that you can try a refrigeration method, if you want to try and produce a colder winter artificially. However, this method seems a bit risky to me. Does anyone use a refrigeration method and have any tips or ideas? Any other comments on how to handle temperate trees in the San Diego area?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment